Assent Based Learning with Landa Fox – November 19th 2021
UP Clinic will be closed on the morning of Friday, November 19th for an exciting professional development workshop with Landa Fox. We are excited to welcome Landa to teach our Behaviour Interventionists, Behaviour Analysts and Case Managers on the following topic:
Safety, Consent, and Body Autonomy in Early Autism Intervention
Presented By: Landa Fox, MA, BCBA, Certified Sexual Health Educator
This presentation will focus on how safety, consent, and body autonomy can be taught in the context of early autism intervention (and beyond). The presentation will focus on the following:
- A brief exploration of the intersections of sexual health/sexuality and disability
- A review of sexual health development and knowledge across a range of ages with a focus on how lack of knowledge or skills can impact safety and consent
- An examination of some common practices in early intervention and how they can impact consent and body autonomy
- A discussion of some alternatives or things we can do differently that can help teach
- safety and consent skills along with examples of how these may be taught
The primary goals of the workshop are to:
- Understand how disability impacts safety and consent skills
- Develop critical thinking regarding current practices
- Improve participants ability to identify alternatives to current practices that can help
- to teach safety and consent skills
To learn more about Landa and the great work that she does, check out her website at www.positiveconnections.ca.
Dr. Laurie Vismara’s workshops in 2022
We are excited to have Dr. Laurie Vismara back to provide on-going training to our staff in 2022.
Workshops for Behaviour Interventionists and Clinicians – strategies to interact with young children with social communication difficulties
- Step into the Spotlight: February 9, 2022, 11AM- 1PM PT
- Stay in the Spotlight: March 10, 2022, 11AM-1PM PT
- Turn up the Spotlight: April 12, 2022, 11AM-1PM PT
Clinicians only – Parent Coaching training for Behaviour Analysts using the ESDM principles
- Parent Coaching Session 1: Rationale, roadblocks, adult learning principles, and tools for supporting families: May 4, 2022, 12-2 PM PT
- Parent Coaching Session 2: Coaching reflections: June 1, 2022, 12-2 PM PT.
You can learn more about Laurie at her website https://10to8.com/book/esdmonline/, or on the “about us” section, as Laurie has been a longstanding contributor to our work at UP!
We are excited to learn such valuable information on topics relevant to what we do and look forward to applying these lessons to our work with our clients.